There are different firmwares that you can use to program the ESP32 and ESP8266 boards. If you want to program the ESP32 or ESP8266 board using the MicroPython firmware, we recommend using uPyCraft IDE. uPyCraft IDE runs in any major operating system. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to install the uPyCraft IDE for MicroPython on a Windows PC.
If you’re using a different operating system, make sure you follow the right guide:
- Install uPyCraft IDE – Mac OS X Instructions
- Install uPyCraft IDE – Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) Instructions
After installing uPyCraft IDE in your computer, we recommend reading: Getting Started with MicroPython on ESP32 and ESP8266.
Installing Python 3.7.X – Windows PC
Before installing uPyCraft IDE, make sure you have the latest version of Python 3.7.X installed in your computer. If you don’t, follow the next instructions to install Python 3.7.X.
1. Go to the Python Downloads page: www.python.org/downloads and download the installation file.
2. After a few seconds, you should have a file called python-3.7.X.exe file in your computer. Double-click the file to open it.
3. Enable the option at the bottom “Add Python 3.7 to PATH“. Then, press the “Install Now” button:
4. Wait a few seconds while the software completes the installation process…
5. When it’s done, you should see the message “Setup was successful” and you can close that window.
Installing uPyCraft IDE – Windows PC
As mentioned before, for this tutorial we’ll be using uPyCraft IDE to program the ESP32 or ESP8266 boards using the MicroPython firmware. In our opinion, uPyCraft IDE is the easiest way of programming ESP based boards with MicroPython at the moment.
Downloading uPyCraft IDE for Windows
Click here to download uPyCraft IDE for Windows or go to this link https://randomnerdtutorials.com/uPyCraftWindows. After a few seconds you should see a similar file (uPyCraft_VX.exe) in your Downloads folder:
Double-click that file. A new window opens with the uPyCraft IDE software:
We’ll be using this software to flash our ESP based boards with MicroPython firmware as well as to program the boards.
Follow the next tutorial to flash your ESP boards with the MicroPyhton firmware:
We hope you’ve found this tutorial useful. This is a quick guide that shows how to install uPyCraft IDE on a Windows computer. If you have a different operating system, read one of the following guides: